Saturday, March 2, 2013

Thoughtfulness & You...The Green Machine

So, I have been sick all of January and pretty much all of February. I caught two different colds that loved me so much they didn't want to leave. (I felt so miserable I didn't want to leave the house or talk to anyone). I was put on antibiotics for 10 days to cure a nasty sinus infection. One day after completing this round my dermatologist put me on 15 days of antibiotics to avoid a potential infection from a skin issue.

Yes...you read right...25 days of antibiotics!

Unfortunately, the first part of 2013 has been full of pill popping, decongestant drinking, Vapo-rub inhaling, blah, blah, blahing.

I am FINALLY feeling back to normal! The sickies have made me re-evaluate my immune system and how I am taking care of it. I'm 33 and now is the time to diligently watch how I am taking care of myself...naturally. Taking a lot of medication makes you want to fill your body with healthy/natural things...not synthetic medication/concoctions.

So, I began searching out ways that I could improve my immune system (and my life).

One of the ways I discovered is by drinking smoothies. Smoothies are not only chalk full of vitamins and minerals, but super convenient too. I will make 2-3 servings at a time and chill them in the refrigerator until I'm ready to enjoy.

The first thoughtful thing I did for my immune system was to incorporate a version of the Green Machine smoothie into my diet. I have extremely sensitive taste buds so I had to tweak the initial recipe I found. The thing about smoothies is you can add whatever you want until you get the taste you want.

My main goal was simplicity...so I devised this concoction. It is the most refreshing drink I have ever tasted...not to mention it is high in Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Folate and Monounsaturated fat. Check the nutritional content below.

Here are the simple ingredients to place in your blender:




 
 
 
 

 
Blend until creamy and smooth...add any additional ingredients you want...
 
Here is what you get...
 
 


This smoothie is one of my most favorite snacks! It is so sweet...it doesn't even taste like you are eating two cups of spinach. All I can say is that your waist line, heart, skin and immune system will love you for it!

 
Linked up with: Inspire Me Please
&

Lil\'Luna
LIFE WE LIVE 4



Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving



Calories 313.9
Total Fat 13.8 g
Saturated Fat 2.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.7 g
Monounsaturated Fat 8.6 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 56.5 mg
Potassium 1,221.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
Sugars 31.0 g
Protein 5.0 g

Vitamin A 115.2 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 18.8 %
Vitamin C 124.3 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 11.5 %
Calcium 7.2 %
Copper 11.6 %
Folate 56.6 %
Iron 12.0 %
Magnesium 18.5 %
Manganese 33.4 %
Niacin 12.6 %
Pantothenic Acid 13.3 %
Phosphorus 7.7 %
Riboflavin 14.1 %
Selenium 1.4 %
Thiamin 12.9 %
Zinc 6.1 %
 


2 comments:

  1. I loved how laid everything out and little nutrition factoids ! Im always looking for good healthy stuff. Please come over and share at our little party!

    http://www.lifewelive4.com/2013/03/love-it-list-it-linky-party-2.html

    :laura:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment & the invite! I linked up :-)

      Delete