Friday, February 22, 2013

When it snows...birds go hungry!

I've lived in the Midwest for almost 9 years. Let me tell you...I'm still not used to the frigid temperatures and thunder snow (not to mention the tornadoes, the ever-changing weather...one day it is 85 degrees, the next day it is snowing, followed by torrential downpours). YIKES! How can anyone get used to this wack-a-do weather. California weather is SO boring compared to the middle of the country weather. But I digress...

It never occurred to me (until the other night while watching the news) that when it snows some birds lives become more difficult.


In the spring, summer and fall birds like to eat berries, insects, nuts, etc. When winter arrives those insects and berries go bye-bye. Birds are left to forage for seeds and nuts. This is a good thing because like you and me every living thing survives better with a little extra layer of protection (i.e.fat) during the cold winter months. Seeds and nuts provide birds with the high energy food they need to endure these shorter and colder days.

However, when snow blankets the ground it can be more difficult to locate seeds and nuts needed for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As the biggest lover of all God's creatures this made me sad and I think, "what can I do?"

Thoughtfulness to the rescue!

We had a pretty good snow storm last night. Snow and ice everywhere!


We live on a mini hill that partially backs up to an acre or 2 of densely populated trees. Birds love this area.

So, I decided that I would feed the birds who may be hungry...or those lazy ones looking for a quick meal.
A little research informed me that:
  • Once you start feeding birds you shouldn't stop (uh-oh. I'm committed)
  • You should put bird food in a feeder, not on the ground as to avoid contamination (think mold, bacteria, pesticides, etc.) and to protect birds from natural predators
  • You should clean out your feeder regularly to avoid accumulating roting bird food
Today, I was looking for a quick fix. So, I purchased bird seed only.


I did learn you can place it on the ground or natural foraging areas as long as you only place enough for that day's feeding. But, make sure not to place the bird seed too close to your house. The point of this thoughtfulness is to help birds survive cold winters, not injure them by making them fly into your windows. I'm sure you also want to keep bird dander and feathers as far away from your property as possible.

I spread nuts and seeds on the ground (where snow had already melted) and on a few rocks.
 
 
 
Let's hope for full tummies and extra energy! I wouldn't mind finding this again next year.

 
 
Tomorrow's task...search out a permanent bird feeder
 


No comments:

Post a Comment