Sunday, February 17, 2013

Re-purpose + Valentine's Day + Making a Difference

A few weeks ago my boyfriend's family threw his mom a surprise 60th birthday party. I was in charge of favors and table center pieces. Working within a strict budget it was decided that I would purchase inexpensive vases, spray paint them, and create a small display using baby's breath.

How was the party you ask? It was a success!
 
But once it was done I couldn't help but think, "What do I do with 10 red vases?" 
 
* throw them away...I mean they only cost $1.00 each
* store them for another occasion...who know when that could be
* re-invent their purpose
  
You can probably guess which one I chose.
 
So...I brainstormed. The first purpose of these vases was to be a simple center piece in the celebration of someone's milestone birthday. That mission was accomplished.
 
The main question: How could I give these vases a second shot at creating happiness?
 
BRAINSTORM: re-purpose + donate + Valentine's Day + loneliness + smile = ??? 
 
 
Create simple flower arrangements & deliver to a nursing home!
 
 So...I purchased inexpensive flowers and heart embellishments and got to work.
  
 15 minutes later...ready to go!

 
On Valentine's Day I delivered 10 arrangements to the nursing home down the street. My hope is that the arrangements were given to those folks who needed something to brighten their day.
 
I know you don't have left over party vases at your house to participate in this act of kindness, but I bet you have generic, left over, cupboard crowding vases from past year birthday or anniversary flower arrangements. You many even have old coffee cups/tea cups or mason jars that need re-purposing.
 
(1) Flower arrangement can make a difference in someone's life.
 
If you don't believe so, read the below Huffington Post story and then go get creative.
 
 





 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment