Friday, January 25, 2013

Celebrate Your Birthday by Giving

For my birthday last December I decided that all gift cards I received would be used for good...not evil...meaning purchasing useless items I didn't really need.

I decided that I would use those gift cards towards the purchase of much needed supplies for a local animal shelter.

After researching a few shelters I chose Open Door Animal Sanctuary. Why you ask? Well...they are a no kill shelter who pride them self on creating a loving environment that foster socials skills and all around happiness. Who wouldn't want to help out an organization like that?

So, for my birthday I received four $25.00 gift cards.

Two - Visa gift cards
One - TJ Maxx gift card
One - Walgreen's gift card

One might not think there are many animal supplies to purchase at the latter two stores but you would be surprised!

I started off at a store called Gordman's to use the Visa gift cards. They had fleece blankets on sale for $2.99 each. (SCORE!) They also had great deals on pet beds. I was able to purchase 9 blankets and 3 cat beds for a little over $40.00. At the time they were having a promotion where if you spend $40.00 or more you get a $10.00 reward coupon. I was able to purchase ANOTHER pet bed (this one had a free blanket and toy attached). DOUBLE SCORE!


 At Walgreen's (while they are very expensive) I was able to purchase 6 dog/cat collars. At TJ Maxx I raided their dog toy section and purchased 9 dog toys. As you can see from my pictures I was able to purchase some additional items at Target and when it was said and done...I'd racked up quite a bit of loot!


I dropped off my donation at the Open Door Animal Sanctuary and was so incredibly happy. I knew that my donations were going to a great cause. I was given a tour of the facility and was beyond pleased. I'm the type of person who (typically) will get emotional when I see animals in shelters because I feel sad for them. I did not get that feeling at this shelter. In one area called Kitty City the cats roam free in harmony. There are beds for cats to stretch out on...windows to lay sun themselves, and volunteers galore providing much needed love and attention. It was a great place.

Not only did I have fun shopping for the items to donate I had a great time visiting the shelter. It was by far one of the best presents I've ever given myself. I encourage all of you to celebrate your birthday in honor of someone else, or a near and dear cause to you. I think this will be my new birthday tradition!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment